Monday, April 11, 2011

Follow the yellow brick road

Well the footpath across the field anyway.


DH and I are getting some miles behind us in readiness for our walking holiday (holiday being used in the loosest sense of the word!). In a few weeks time he and I will be walking the Cumbrian Way - 72 miles from Ulverston to Carlisle over 6 walking days. I'm sure I will enjoy it, but there are times when I am not sure how the word 'yes' came out when he suggested it - usually about 10 miles into the practice walks! Joking aside, I've always been a walker, walking at least 2 miles a day, plus 4 miles with friends every friday evening and DH and I often do a longer walk at the weekend, just to get away from it all and have uninterupted time together, but this will be my first long distance walk whilst DH has done several.

At the weekend we did 12 miles locally, and for some reason I was really taken with the view along the road under the bridge that used to carry the long disused Hawkhurst branch line



And further on I saw what has to be the absolute typical Kentish scene



It was a lovely walk, with perfect weather, sunny with a nice gentle breeze and we covered the 12 miles in a very respectable 4 hours including a few stops for snacks and a cuppa (there is no way I am walking long distances without my flask!).

My legs were naturally tired, so when we got back I put my feet up and was listening to the Simon and Garfunkel CD I recently treated myself to (to relive the past I think) and DD came in just as it was playing Scarborough Fair
(Are you going to Scarborough fair?/parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme/remember me to one who lives there/ she once was a true love of mine)

DD stood considering for a few moments, then said "It's odd isn't it? I mean, who on earth would suddenly say ' you know, I think I'll sing about some herbs today'?"
Actually, perhaps she has a point!


PS: There are still a few days left to enter my blogiversary draw - it closes on Saturday 16th April

1 comment:

Auntie Noo said...

My entire youth is timelines by Simon and garfunkel songs (both together and as solo artists) your walking hol sounds great. Can't wait to hear about it