Sunday, January 14, 2007

Charity Knit I

Well I never said they would be big things did I? In fact this is absolutely diddy, but since it is destined for the special care baby unit no doubt there will be a wee head to fit it.

That`s the good thing about charity knitting - no tension squares, after all the recipient will be found to fit the item, rather than having to knit to fit. So this little hat was made with an unlabelled ball of something or other, little dpns that looked about the right size, and a pattern I had printed off the internet sometime ago from `I haven`t a clue where` - what a fine pedigree, still it`s cute and if it helps keep a prem babys head warm, that`s the main thing.

Yesterday was the Tonbridge Lacemakers meeting, and my turn on the tea rota. So off I went armed with my cakes (Paradise Slice) and rubber gloves (some washing up liquids make my hands itch so better safe than sorry) to do my duty with a couple of friends. I do volunteer every year, I feel it is only fair to take a turn, but I can well see why others don`t....I`m so sorry, but I really can`t make tea the the perfect strength for each and every one of the 70 odd of you - I do my best, you can even add your specific amount of milk yourself if you like (though even that isn`t right for some of you since the milk of course should be put in the cup first..grrrrr) but at the end of the day I am only human! And how about those that moan the most volunteering first next year, huh?

Anyway, rant over.
I was so taken with the poem in the back of our newsletter (not lace or knitting related though), that I thought I would share it with you. I can`t give credit to the author as they are unknown.

Grandma and the Computer
The computer swallowed Grandma.
Yes, honestly it`s true.
She pressed `control` and `enter`
And disappeared from view.
It devoured her completely,
The thought just makes me squirm.
She must have caught a virus
Or been eaten by a worm.
I`ve searched through the recycle bin
And file of every kind,
I`ve even used the Internet
But nothing did I find.
In desperation I asked Jeeves
My searches to refine.
The reply from him was negative,
Not a thing was found`online`.
So, if inside your `Inbox`,
My Grandma you should see,
Please `Copy`,`Scan` and `Paste` her
And send her back to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hat is to cute and it is a good thing your doing. It is funny how the loudest moaners do the least volenteering! I saww that Poem a long time ago and I stll find it fun

MandellaUK said...

What a cute little hat! It's nice to do little projects, especially when you know they will be gratefully received.

Rain said...

Aw the hat is adorable. I'm sure it will be well loved by whoever receives it.

acrylik said...

The hat is so cute! It will be loved by whoever receives it.

I totally agree with you that those who moan the most don't tend to do the volunteering!

Hellbelle said...

It's a lovely little hat, what with this and the volunteering (appreciated or not!) your karma will be on the up :)