Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lacemakers cake

Yesterday was the 25th Anniversary lunch of the Tonbridge Lacemakers and as all celebrations need a cake, two of our very clever members made this...

Believe it or not, apart from the threads, it is all completely edible (though there were a number of very blue tongues after tea!)

Even the bobbins were made of sugar paste - and just to show how good they were, the bobbin on the right is the edible one, and the bobbin on the left is a real painted wooden one, an (early) birthday present from my lovely lacemaking friends.

I spent the day (apart from eating and chatting) sewing in the numerous ends of my finished lace mat, it has only taken me about 18 months to make !! and the worse thing about it was that a very kind lace friend had lent me her pillow to use as mine wasn't large enough - I felt quite guilty about the length of time I'd had it, (though she wasn't concerned), and returned it to her with a large box of chocolates in thanks.


It wasn't really that difficult, mostly straight forward torchon and I thoroughly enjoyed making it, but it will be a long while before I make anything quite that big again.




3 comments:

HoffiCoffi said...

As a newbie lacemaker I am in awe of your lace mat... and of course the cake! It sounds like you have a great set of lacemaking friends there - I should really find out about any local groups near me as any tips to get me a bit more advanced would be greatly appreciated!!

Auntie Noo said...

The cake is amazing, but your lace - Ohmyword that is beautiful

Denise said...

I can't believe that's a real cake or the bobbin was edible. Who are these amazing friends? I want them to be my friends too!
By the way, the mouse in your previous post is gorgeous...so is the pusscat. Do they come as a package through Etsy?