Monday, December 18, 2006

Les Dawson is alive and well.....

.....and playing the organ in our local church!

I am not a regular church goer, but I always make a point of going to the Carol Service - I think it is important to do something at Christmas time to remember the true meaning, so ever since DD was old enough, she, my Mum and I go along each year. It`s only once we`ve been to church that I really start to feel Christmassy.
DD is now 13 and to a great extent we share the same humour, so when the organist started playing a la Les Dawson, we didn`t dare look at each other, and certainly during ` The First Nowell` I have no idea what he was playing but it definitely wasn`t the same as the congregation were singing! ( hopefully you will recall the way he played the piano or else you will be wondering what on earth I am talking about!)

When I was about 5 or 6, I came home from Sunday School delighted to have learnt a new carol, which I proudly told Mum was called `The Trifle Song`, after much questioning she discovered it was in fact

`Oh come all ye faithful,
Trifle and joyumphant`

- now for some reason she and DD find this highly amusing - so when Les began playing this particular carol in his unique style - poor DD sitting between us just didn`t know which way to look and ended up studying the floor lest she catch one of our eyes.

I`m pleased to say we both made it through the service without either giving in to the threatening bout of giggles.

Now onto something a little crafty - DD was invited to a birthday party for a Goth friend, and having found the perfect necklace - a cross set with black stones on a black and silver beaded chain - we needed to make it look that little bit more special than just wrapped in birthday paper. Out came a remnant of black satin and some black lace and ribbon, and in no time at all, behold a presentation pouch. Some of DD`s friends were amazed.
" Your Mum didn`t really make that, did she?"
To DD (and me) it seems the most natural thing in the world, but isn`t it sad when others don`t realise the pleasure and satisfaction making something brings.

5 comments:

KnitYoga said...

How funny! I don't think I'd have been able to control the giggles! LOL I love the little Goth jewellery pouch and the necklace sounds fab, too.

Anonymous said...

I would simple have had to leave and curl up outside in a fit of laughter..I would not have been able to cope!!!
The Goth Pouch looks lovely...and I am always surprised when people are surprised that something was made by me...to me and mine it is simply something normal

Rain said...

I don't know how you managed not to laugh.

The pouch looks fantastic. It's a great idea to make something that can be used again rather than just wrap it in something to be thrown out.

Linda said...

I have been singing about trifles all day since reading that! I have also tagged you...see my blog! x

acrylik said...

I would not have been able to control myself!!

Love the Goth pouch, as you say, it's a shame people are so surprised when they receive something handmade.