Friday, September 08, 2006

Saturday Shopper


It`s not very often I see a pattern in a magazine and just have to make it now, but the Saturday Shopper in this months SK had that effect on me. I can`t remember the last time I crocheted something, (crochet was one of the crafts I more or less left behind with my teenage years) but it all came back to me - a bit like riding a bike, which was just as well owing to the number of errors in the pattern, including some sentences which simply did not make sense in english never mind crochet terms. But good old common sense prevailed, I worked out what they meant, and here is the end result. I had some left overs of cotton DK, but as I wasn`t convinced I had enough of either, I came up with this version, hopefully everyone else who sees it will think the two colours were a design feature and only you who are reading this will know the truth!

Despite my cursing at the pattern mistakes (which has made me wonder if I dare tackle anything else out of SK) I really enjoyed making this, and have vowed not to leave crochet for another ** years before I do any more.

4 comments:

Kate said...

That's so pretty! And you're very heroic, tackling a pattern despite the errors. I get stroppy if a pattern has any completely bizarre errors that I can't solve myself...

It's far too nice to stick your veggies and tins of beans in, though. Maybe it's a Saturday Shopper for Saturday Shopping at the LYS... ;-)

I hope you'll email SK about the errors or, if not, stick a new post in the Pattern Review or Crochet section about it, stating clearly what you had to change. Chances are they won't print any errata *rolls eyes* but at least you're pre-warning any angels who want to knit it!

Hellbelle said...

The bag looks really nice, well done for perservering with the dodgy pattern. The good thing about crochet is how quickly it grows, although I don't like the thickness of it for some things, it's perfect for bags :)

Rain said...

It looks lovely and the result was worth battling the pattern for.

Anonymous said...

You've done really well with a pattern with so many mistakes - your bag is smashing. I wish I could crochet :-(